Search Here

Friday, October 8, 2010

Yellow Stuff


It's soon time for a new yellow pencil to highlight passages in my favorite book, the Bible. I've always considered these verses in Job 38 to be some of the greatest prose in literature:
Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind . . . Where were you when I established the earth? What supports its foundations? Or who laid its cornerstone while the morning stars sang together? Have you ever in your life commanded the morning or assigned the dawn its place? Have you traveled to the sources of the sea or walked in the depths of the oceans? Where is the road to the home of light? Do you know where darkness lives? Or have you seen the storehouses of hail? Who cuts a channel for the flooding rain or clears the way for lightning? Does the rain have a father? Who gave birth to the frost of heaven? Can you fasten the chains of the Pleiades or loosen the belt of Orion? Who put wisdom in the heart or gave the mind understanding? Who has the wisdom to number the clouds? Or who can tilt the water jars of heaven?

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I'll try again . . . just lost my post in the "prove you're not a robot" step.

I, too, love colored pencils for Bible marking -- I do Precept Bible studies, so I go through a lot of Prismatic pencils!!

Since you love Job (I do, too) I wanted to share a book: The Wonder of it All -- The Creation Account According to the Book of Job. It's the passage you quoted, plus more, accompanied by incredible photos.
Amazon has it, and you can peek at a page or two. Well worth the price. I think you'd like it.

I just discovered your blog through Pinterest, and am enjoying it a lot. Thanks!