Search Here

Sunday, June 5, 2011

grAy or grEy?

How do you spell that color ranging from black to white? Here's a general explanation.

grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England

Since I live in America I'll stick with grAy. But either way, gray is one of those almost non-colors. Unless I need it for a specific design purpose it's not too high on my "gotta have" list. Reminds me of winter.

Nature displays gray in a wide range of textures and intensities. I can almost feel the grain on the crosscut timber and the smooth or rough bark of these two tree close-ups taken on a recent trip to North Carolina.




Gray is found in all five of my quilts about our five senses. For full images of these quilts see the Gallery of Quilts/Simply Sensational(series) or type a quilt title in the search box at the top left of home page.

Delicious, detail:

Fragrant Memories, detail:

In the Quiet, detail:

Breeze, detail:

Photogenic, detail:

1 comment:

Judy Warner said...

I look on gray as that shade that helps give depth to our perceptions. How is that for early morning profundity! :)