Search Here

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little Fabric Hugs

As mentioned in the last post, I am slightly changing my focus now to smaller quilts. Smaller quilt = easier to handle = hopefully a less frustrating free motion experience. In addition to small competition quilts I started making mini quilts (about 36"square) to donate to Wheels for the World, a wheelchair recycling program which collects, restores, and distributes wheelchairs to disabled people in developing countries. The little quilts will be given to some of the wheelchair recipients. Here are a couple examples:



Just 25 (6") squares plus a border. With the self binding technique the backing is folded to the front, eliminating the time-consuming traditional binding.

The quilting is extra large and moves along quickly.


I have no lack of fabric for the tops but needed backs and batts so off I went to Joann Fabrics where they had 50% off batting and Red Dot clearance fabric, plus I had an additional 20% off coupon on top of that. What a deal. I hauled home 100 yards of fabric and a whole bolt (40 yards) of batting. That should keep me out of trouble for awhile.

What a joy to work on these fast-to-make minis. There are no juries and judges critiquing my work. My abundant stash of fabric is being put to good use and I'm getting valuable free motion practice. Best of all, someone overseas will get a little fabric hug from me in the form of a comfy, colorful quilt. It's a win win.

No comments: